Some '04 questions

Some '04 questions

Postby deekster_caddy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:49 am

Hey guys,

Just picked up an '04 GP as my brother's new DD. Got a few questions...
'04 still used plastic LIM gaskets?
Headlight assemblies are a bitch to defog... ebay ones crap or ok?
Any weird security issues come up when replacing the stereo? It does have steering wheel buttons.

Anything else to watch out for? Overall car seems good and relatively rust free. It was a bargain so no problem throwing a little money where it counts. Doing all 4 pads and rotors since they pulse like a bastard.

-D
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Re: Some '04 questions

Postby The Godfather » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

My uncles 04 comp g had plastic intake mani gaskets when we changed them. can't tell you much more about the model other than that. He also has a lot of problems with the power steering and the chrome wheels peeling and the tires not holding air.
The Godfather
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:04 pm

It has steelies so no problem there! Steering seems fine. We decided to do the LIM gaskets this weekend. I was able to scratch some black off them w a screwdriver and there are oil puddles on the LIM bolts. Also the coolant is multi-colored so I'm suspicious anyhow.

Anyone ever futz with the fuel gauge? This one reads right, then drops to empty, then ok, then empty... annoying. Wiring "looks" okay so I'm guessing we are going to have to drag the fuel pump out to fix it. At least that's easy!

The weird little LED DIC in the middle sucks big time. Doesn't have ANY useful info!

The check engine light was on by the time we got home from the guy's house... evap of course. Gas cap seal was completely dry-rotted. Changed that and drove it about 100 miles and seems to be gone. We also looked under the fuel pump hatch and I zip tied the evap line tighter onto it's fitting just in case. It seemed a bit loose.
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:15 pm

i think only 04 had the plastic lim gasket. my 06 has metal ones. maybe someone replaced them with the plastic ones since they cost less.

dont know of issues with the stereo but i havent replaced it so im not positive.

the 3 botton dic is stupid, the 5 botton which is a simple plug in upgrade other than the mileage being different, is very useful. it shows trans temp, volts, and fuel mileage. it also has a compass and outside temp but youll need the compass box, i have one that im not using, and a temp sensor thats like $20.

never had a problem w the fuel gauge, maybe the teeth on it are dirty.

i have a replacement headlight from the body shop on the drivers side that hasnt had any issues, not sure the brand but i know its not stock. might be a tyc. i need to replace the pass side its getting foggy.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:03 pm

How much you want for the 5 button thing? We are interested.

oh, wait am I reading it right? You just have an extra compass box. Or do you have a whole extra 5 button thing?

Like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2008-GRAND ... 77&vxp=mtr

How do you fit the buttons? Do you need a different panel?
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Sorry no i just have the compass, i dont have the harness in the car for it already and dont feel like wiring it in. you should have the harness in there, its on the rear speaker deck on the drivers side.

yes thats the dic on ebay. you can drill the 2 new holes on your original bezel or try to find one that comes with the bezel.

grandprixforums.net has some write ups on it, and they are in the for sale section every so often.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 am

So... my brother ended up wrecking his '04 GPGT, rearended somebody and damaged the front too much to repair. (lot of damage for a low speed hit!) So we found another one, mixed all the good parts and have some leftover. Then my mother needed a car, so we got ANOTHER '04 GP GT... so I still have two 3800s in the family to work on. Did LIM gaskets and tuneup on both, have a good spare motor from the first one that wrecked (just did LIM gaskets in that too), so if anybody needs anything, we have a few parts. Got rid of the shell from the first '04 but still have some stuff leftover, misc bits and pieces, full stock exhaust...

Had some issues with the CAN bus freaking out after a bad stereo adapter, replaced it and all is well. That CAN bus is really sensitive!
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Return to Grand Prix