My GTP Shaking Real bad.. Please help

My GTP Shaking Real bad.. Please help

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:28 am

ok so a few weeks ago I replaced the passenger outer tie-rod and both wheel bearing hub assembly's front drivers and front passenger side.. I have brand new tires... upon on accelerating the car starts to shake and only when I try to accelerate does the car shake, when I let off the gas it drives perfectly smooth.. Seems like the shaking is coming from the front passenger side... whats weird is the axle on the drivers side is leaking grease and am very well aware that i'll need to replace it soon... Im a little stumped as to what the issue is now. Thank you guys for any help you can provide me... I greatly appreciate it.
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Limited Edition (Stock) for now
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Re: My GTP Shaking Real bad.. Please help

Postby bud659 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:51 am

possibly an aligment. when changing the tie rod+ new tires its always a good idea. it could also well be the tire. you can swap out the right with left to be sure before spending money on an alignment
2004 CompG headers, pulley, plugs, cai, RTA's, custom pcm
1998 Pontiac GrandPrix GTP rockers, headers, pulley, plugs, custom pcm, GMPP handling Kit
1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 350 GM Crate Motor, Alum Intake, Jet-Hot Hooker Headers, Hypertech chip, MSD 8.5 Ign Wires, Accel Ign Module,Cap+Rotor, Dynomax cat-back 2.5" exhaust, 3:73 Gears, 200-r4 tranny street/strip build
bud659
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm

If there is a big glob of grease stuck on the inside of the rim (throwing the wheel waaay out of balance) weird things can happen.

Also have you checked the front end, it takes two people - one to rock the wheel in and out, one to watch the ball joint, inner tie rod movement, control arm bushings, etc. Also a jack you trust, with a jack stand.

Also try swapping front tires to rear. While the wheels are off make sure there are no big grease blobs (see first line).
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:13 pm

do you have lowering springs?
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Tue May 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Tires are new, alignment was done after I installed the parts.. There is a few globs of grease on the inner wheel of the drivers front I know that one has a bad axle due to the boot being ripped but seems like the shaking is coming from the passenger front side.. I have checked for any play and there doesn't seem to be much at all except when I shake the passenger front tire at the 8-3oclock position but it only seems like very little play that I felt wasn't a cause for concern.
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Tue May 01, 2012 7:45 pm

No grease in the boot is bad.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 pm

I was told I need to replace the axle And that would solve the problem
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Wed May 02, 2012 2:19 pm

yup. if theres no grease left in the boot then the axle is now worn down and loose causing it to shake. clean the grease off the wheel too, that can cause the tire to be unbalanced and also cause a wobble/shaking.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I won't drive it on the highway til I fix it.. Thanks everyone for the quick replies and help... I only work 5 minutes away from my house.. Is it safe to drive with the axel in that condition? What would happen if the axle snap? Thanks for the help
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Thu May 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Worst case if the CV snaps... you don't go. Generally they don't explode, or the CV shaft doesn't go spinning into oblivion and pole vault you into the next county. You just stop.
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Sun May 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Well I replaced the drivers side axle and no such luck.. Car still shakes when I accelerate even after the fact I installed the new axle.. Granted on the plus side the driver side axle needed to be replaced anyway but I was hoping the issue would of been resolved.. So now I'm guessing it's the inner tie rod on the passenger side because when I wiggle the wheel from left to right it has a little play and what appears to be the inner tie rod... So far I have replaced the 2 front wheel bearing hub assembly's, front pads and rotors that includes the rear as well.. Brand new tires (4) outer tie rod end (passenger side) and a wheel alignment... So all I can think of now is that inner tie rod on the passenger side cuz that's all that seems to have some sort of play in it... This is frustrating.. Anyone care to chime in please feel free and thank you all for your help
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Does it feel like the abs is engaging and disengaging?
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby TrevorGTP » Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 am

I didn't see a reply to swiggs question about it being lowered. is it? I know an alignment was done but that cant fix the shake completely if lowered.
Tuned, 3.4 MPS, SD heatwrapped headers, ZZP stainless cat back 2.5, 3 inch downpipe catted, F- Body brake kit Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors, 160 T stat, 104's, Prosport Boost Gauge and Aeroforce.
TrevorGTP
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 am

Abs light kicks on sometimes and goes back off if I'm lucky.. But most of the time it stays on after it does it's thing the humming buzzing effect.. The wheel bearing hub assembly's up front are brand new.. To answer the next question, my car is not lowered... I'm really stumped on this one guys I just don't know what else to do
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am

You might have a bad abs module and the shaking is the abs doing its thing. Have you had the abs code checked? an auto zone scanner won't do it you need to go to a shop. The code will point us in the right direction, if it still says front hub then you need to look at the wiring.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Next

Return to Grand Prix