My GTP Shaking Real bad.. Please help

Re: My GTP Shaking Real bad.. Please help

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 am

But would that be possible that the abs would cause the shaking only while accelerating? I drove the car today and immediately the trac control light and abs light came on when I started the car.. Also where is the abs modul located
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Limited Edition (Stock) for now
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 am

The module is under the hood, it has brake lines going into it from the master cylinder.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Basic front end check:

To check the tie rod ends takes two people. Jack up only the wheel you are going to check. Crawl under the car and put a good light on the tie rod end. Have your buddy push the wheel back and forth at 9 and 3 o'clock. Watch the tie rod for play. Then watch the inner tie rod for play. Repeat with pushing at 12: and 6:00 and watch the lower ball joint.

There can be a tiny bit of play in the wheel bearings that will show all directions, that's why you need to watch it from underneath.

The reason you only jack up one side is so that the other side is firmly on the ground and you are getting good force onto the tie rod end.

Repeat with the other side.
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Mon May 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Swiggles wrote:The module is under the hood, it has brake lines going into it from the master cylinder.

Is there anything serviceable on the modual or anything I should look for? What if I was to disable the ABS for now, would it make a difference as to stopping the shaking?
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:Basic front end check:

To check the tie rod ends takes two people. Jack up only the wheel you are going to check. Crawl under the car and put a good light on the tie rod end. Have your buddy push the wheel back and forth at 9 and 3 o'clock. Watch the tie rod for play. Then watch the inner tie rod for play. Repeat with pushing at 12: and 6:00 and watch the lower ball joint.

There can be a tiny bit of play in the wheel bearings that will show all directions, that's why you need to watch it from underneath.

The reason you only jack up one side is so that the other side is firmly on the ground and you are getting good force onto the tie rod end.

Repeat with the other side.

Last time I checked but Ill check again... there seemed to be a little play in the inner tie rod on the passenger side, but not the outer because I just replaced it and didnt look like the play was coming from the end but rather in the inner... this is on the front passenger side... Im going to take another look at it later after work and see whats going on.. I will post my results later and go from there... also I think I got a buddy with an ABS scanner he has his own shop I may go check that out with him this week.
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby TrevorGTP » Mon May 14, 2012 11:32 am

Maybe could be a motor mount on passenger side by the oil filter if you haven't checked your mounts yet that might cause the shake.
Tuned, 3.4 MPS, SD heatwrapped headers, ZZP stainless cat back 2.5, 3 inch downpipe catted, F- Body brake kit Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors, 160 T stat, 104's, Prosport Boost Gauge and Aeroforce.
TrevorGTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Mon May 14, 2012 1:43 pm

i was thinking this too, could be the lower motor mount or the trans mount is bad causing the vibrations, but i dont think it would cause the abs light to come on.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Here is an update... I took my GTP to the garage where my buddy works, and just as I suspected its the inner tie-rod on the passenger side that needs to be replaced.. there was quite a bit of play on it.. its not broken but its worn and in need of replacement... luckily I dont risk driving it on the highway but rather to and from work for now as I only work 7 minutes away from home... so my next step is to buy a new one and have my buddy install it because I dont feel like dealing with it hahaha... going to look for prices on the inner tie rod and see how much the part is going to cost me
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Go with a moog one, I find amazon.com to have the best prices.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Andrew » Tue May 15, 2012 11:01 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:Also have you checked the front end, it takes two people - one to rock the wheel in and out, one to watch the ball joint, inner tie rod movement, control arm bushings, etc. Also a jack you trust, with a jack stand

bam! second post down. should have done this. if it had quite a bit of play like you said than you should have noticed this right off the bat weeks ago.
12.100 @ 109.31
Stage 3 heads & Cam, TOG Headers, S2 Inter-cooled, GenV Blower, N* Throttle Body, 60lb Injectors
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was unsure as I was the only person checking it out.. it helps with two people.. One under the car while the other moves the wheel side to side.. never the less the other parts that I have replaced needed to be replaced either way so it wasnt a total lose situation.. but I agree had the inner tie rod been replaced first thing I probably wouldnt be in this predicament right now... I found an inner tie rod for $20.00 and then I will have it installed at my friends garage as he'll give me a good deal... I want to thank everyone here who responded and for all the help.. you guys are awesome.. thank you :) I'll post an update when I get that sucker put on the car
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Welcome. You really need a second person to do a good front end check. Lesson to all!
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 am

tomorrow i am buyin a new inner tie rod thats the culprit only thing is its a pain in the butt to replace on my own under the car in the drive way :-(
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Adossas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 am

It's the axel on the other side. I just went through this and my car now rides like new.
Adossas

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm not so sure it's the passenger side axel.. It seems and appears to be ok.. I'm still thinking its the iner tie rod
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to Grand Prix