Lost top bolt from brake caliber to steering knuckle

Lost top bolt from brake caliber to steering knuckle

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Just as the subject says.. yesterday on my ride home from work I noticed a metallic smell, like the smell of buring brake pads as I was driving... didnt think anything of it and thought maybe it was the car in front of me. Then on my ride to work this morning I smelled it again as I was driving, but this time I heard sort of a grinding noise.. I automatically thought it was the lower ball joint, so I drove a little slower on the rest of the drive to work.. soon as I pulled in I went to check it out.. I see the passenger side brake caliber top side of it right up against my wheel (rim) and thats what was rubbing up against it while driving.. So i then put it up on the lift at work, took the tire off, and noticed I was missing one of the two bolts that bolts the caliber to the steering knuckle.. It was the top bolt that was missing... Now I remember replacing the CV Axle about a month and a half 2 months again, and I could of sworn I put all the bolts back on, so Im thinking two possible culprits, either Im a complete idiot and forgot to tighten the top bolt (which im about 80% sure I did) or I simply forgot to put it back on and was lucky up to this point that the bottom bolt was tight enough to keep the caliber on for this long.. I took a peak at the threads where it goes thru the caliber so thats why im stumped as to if the bolt was actually there in the first place or not... I assuming if the bolt was there, then the threads would have stripped, but it doesnt appear that it is.. anyways long story short, my car is staying at work because I had to special order the bolt from the stealership and they wont have it til monday :( so now I have to wait til then to get that new bolt put in.
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Limited Edition (Stock) for now
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Re: Lost top bolt from brake caliber to steering knuckle

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:55 pm

For the record, I would like to add it was the top bracket retaining bolt that the caliber bracket goes to the steering knuckle. just to be more specific. lol... either way this still sucks, and at least the rim didnt get badly grooved/grinded into
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:59 pm

special order $18 bolt too. i had that happen to me on the way to work once, i was a block away thankfully, but all of a sudden the caliper was grinding against the rim. finally found one at a dealership not too far away. i made sure i put red lock tite on all my caliper bracket bolts from then on.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:01 pm

you should get that wheel balanced now too since it ground into it a little it changed the weight of it slightly.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 pm

I special Ordered it today from Durand Chevrolet in Hudson, and the bolt is only going to cost me almost $6.00 not too bad of a deal... and I was thinking of doing the same thing swiggles, putting some locktite on the threads of the bolt so this hopefully doesnt happen again. lol as for the wheel goes its really not a deep grind into the wheel, but Ill get it re balanced for extra measure.. Thanks for the tip bro... P.s. I like your car and I like the wheels on your grand prix, makes me want to buy a new set of wheels someday.. I dont have my motegi ones anymore :( sold them awhile back due to other priorities
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Andrew » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:24 pm

I had one back out on me on a off ramp by my house a few years ago. Special order a set of 2 bolts. I put lock tite on them and they never backed out again. I might have an extra one lying around if you wanna drive to NH. But it seems as though you're all set
12.100 @ 109.31
Stage 3 heads & Cam, TOG Headers, S2 Inter-cooled, GenV Blower, N* Throttle Body, 60lb Injectors
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks Andrew I appreciate the offer.. If I hadnt ordered one, I would have.. thanks again :) I plan on putting locktite so this doesnt happened again lol
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Aren't those TTY bolts? I know everybody reuses them, I do to, but I always thought they were TTY. Plus, the torque spec on those is something like 145 or 150 lb ft. Did you use a torque wrench on them when you installed?
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:59 pm

i dont think they are tty but they do come with locktite or whatever gm uses on them when they are new. i never used a torque wrench on them, but i do put a piece of pipe on the wrench to torque it more.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:01 pm

I recall that I did not use a torque wrench.. I do have one.. Perhaps this time around I will use it along with some locktite.. Here is my next question.. the top bracket bolt goes thru the steering knuckle hole first then threads into the Brake Caliber bracket correct? I saw the bracket had threads where the bolt would thread to, but does the actual knuckle hole that the bolt goes thru have threads as well because mine doesnt appear to.
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

yes it goes through the knuckle and threads into the bracket.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks Swiggs... well unfortunately the dealer gave me the wrong bolt.. I needed the 15mm bolt and they gave the wrong one... instead of going thru the hassle of the dealership.. would I be able to get the bolt from the hardware store instead? If so, please let me know.. thanks guys.
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 am

Nvm.. i went to the junkyard and got the bolt.. LOL I put it on tomorrow and it should be good as new :)
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Postby Andrew » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 am

just out of curiostity what did they charge you for something like that?
12.100 @ 109.31
Stage 3 heads & Cam, TOG Headers, S2 Inter-cooled, GenV Blower, N* Throttle Body, 60lb Injectors
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Supercharged03GTP » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Andrew wrote:just out of curiostity what did they charge you for something like that?

They didn't charge me anything for the bolt.. I also ended up buying a new drivers side mirror which I paid $30.00 for. Now that the bolt is put on that solves that issue... but unfortunately I ran into another one.. as I was driving my car home and came to a stop at the traffic lights, and when the light went green and I gave it gas to go, I felt a quick jolt/jerk while accelerating.. this doesn't happen all the time but rather intermittently.. I have checked my transmission fluid level and it was low, so I put a half quart cuz thats all I had left in the bottle. I checked the dip stick (car running) and it indicated or it appeared to be on the full mark of the dip stick... I started driving around for a few minutes and it seemed fine, but when I came to a stop sign and then when I was able to go, I got that same jolt/jerk feeling as I previously described.. What I do know is the other day when I put my car up on the lift it appears that tranny fluid seeps out thru the gasket from the transmission pan, and to top it off all the bolts seemed loose, I was able to get half turns on all of them to tighten them up some more. So can anyone give me some pointers or anything on the subject. Thanks guys for the help
Supercharged03GTP
Registered

Next

Return to Grand Prix