Acceleration shake...

Acceleration shake...

Postby TrevorGTP » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:54 pm

My car is shaking pretty rough under acceleration only on the highway though. So I narrowed it down to two things. First is the Axles :roll: . So I bought two brand new Axles Picture 1. The second picture you see is the inner part of the axle still in the Transmission. The inner boot completely fell apart and had very little grease that was contaminated. The passenger side was kind of a pain to get with a pry bar, but I ended up lightly tapping the back side with a small ball pin hammer and it popped right out. The third picture you see is the gears inside "or what is supposed to be sealed inside" the axle assembly. So once I replaced the passenger side I took it out for a ride before I put in the driver side axle, reason being is because it felt as though the shake was more aggressive on the passenger side then the driver side. once I let her warm up in the city I took her onto the highway and drove it normally like I do when I commute to work 70 MPH and I leave it in Drive. upon normal acceleration to keep up with traffic "1/4 to 1/2 throttle tops" I could still notice some shake, but I felt it did get better. So then I popped in the driver side axle and experienced the same problem, once I got the the top of the axle clear of the wheel hub I gave an effortless tug and the inner boot failed again. so I put the new axle in on that side and topped off the transmission fluid because I lost about a cups worth. Again I let her warm up around the city. The car seemed to drive fine, I took it on the highway got here up to normal commute speed like before. The car felt like it got a little better but it still had its normal shake under acceleration but it did seem better. So both axles were replaced and I have already put 200 miles on them. This helped the problem but it didn't get rid of it.

So the second thing I have in mind is what you see in the fourth picture, this what I am stuck on at the moment but will be replacing this on my day off tomorrow. The Lower motor mount. As you can see in the picture I do have a tranny and engine spacers for when my car was lowered to reduce the shake from going lower. I DO NOT have the lowering springs in the car anymore. I took them out cause every bump I hit on the highway made me pogo my way to work, and I felt it was only a matter of time before my struts go bye bye, so I put the stock springs back in. The motor mount feels squishy and is covered in grease down there as you can see it the picture couldn't tell if it was sheared though...

I do have a few questions that I do need help with..

Question 1: should I leave in the tranny and engine spacers for when I put in the new motor mount? the car IS NO longer lowered. (Idk if it will even work when I put in the new engine mount not enough threads to get the bolt on)
Question 2: Whats next on this car to check for shaking problems?

I have completely ruled out tires cause after acceleration on highway it ride super smooth and I've had it aligned and have checked Tie rods and they have been replaced as well.

other possible things that could be causing this... (maybe)

Pictures 5 and 6.

Picture 5 is the short dog bones I put on my car for lowering it. (sorry picture is upside down)
picture 6 is showing what the dog bone is doing, It's pulling the motor so far forward that headers on my car is touching the fans in the front of my car. Could this possibly cause acceleration shake? I believe I have to stock dog bones.

Hopefully I can put an end to this shake. Please reply

Tuned, 3.4 MPS, SD heatwrapped headers, ZZP stainless cat back 2.5, 3 inch downpipe catted, F- Body brake kit Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors, 160 T stat, 104's, Prosport Boost Gauge and Aeroforce.
TrevorGTP
Registered

Re: Acceleration shake...

Postby TrevorGTP » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 am

UPDATE: I replaced the LOWER MOUNT after work tonight and literally just got done test driving it at 330am :( . NOTE TO SELF AND EVERYONE ELSE: DO NOT try to replace a lower motor mount by your self. It took from 11-3am pretty much by myself trying to get the threads to line up on the bracket. FUCK that. :roll: have someone help you lol. now after I did this lower mount the shake is literally just about gone! I still feel a tad bit at acceleration and I can now notice the vibration from my shitty tires on it currently. once I replace tires on it the very dull constant vibration should be gone.now I think maybe the last bit of acceleration shaking could be that I didnt change out the tranny mount. and the fact I still got the short dog bones on the car. I think im just gunna go ahead and replace the tranny mount. I made it through doing the lower motor mount I think I can managed to do the tranny one, which I was told is easier anyway.
Tuned, 3.4 MPS, SD heatwrapped headers, ZZP stainless cat back 2.5, 3 inch downpipe catted, F- Body brake kit Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors, 160 T stat, 104's, Prosport Boost Gauge and Aeroforce.
TrevorGTP
Registered

Postby deekster_caddy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm

I would think you should go back to stock dog bones. No reason to keep the wires so close to the fans etc.

It sounds like you are already on the right track towards fixing your problems. Keep the engine and transmission held in place, then look for further problems...

If you don't have the lowering springs anymore, I'd think you want to get the shims out of there too.
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET
deekster_caddy
Registered

Postby TrevorGTP » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Yeah once I put the new motor mount in. I didnt even waste the time putting that shimm in Im gunna need order new bones cause I cant find my old ones. and I just ordered a new tranny mount also. Im gunna nut up and put a new one in and take the shimm out too.
TrevorGTP
Registered

Postby Swiggles » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:19 am

the tranny mount is less fun than the motor mount. best way would probably be to lower the sub frame on that side to give you room but getting at those top mount nuts is not easy.
ImageImage
Swiggles
Registered

Postby TrevorGTP » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:40 am

I think you might have it backwards swiggs I got to the top bolts on the tranny mount with a half inch ratchet and the socket no problem. the engine one I could barely get too and had to use a open end wrench. I talked to "Pwned" since hes close to where I live and I jacked it up with a long piece of wood on the tranny pan north to south was how the wood was facing and butted up right to the edge and jacked up really slow. new tranny mount was in, in 5 minutes from jacking it up. the cars shake is about gone there still vibration from the tires but I am putting on the new tires this week and if the vibration is still there ill have to keep tackling things it could be. Ill keep you posted.
TrevorGTP
Registered

Return to Grand Prix