88 fiero formula

Re: 88 fiero formula

Postby ignorant prodigy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks Swiggles, any chance you now the specs on the bolts?

Managed to get the old drivetrain off the cradle yesterday. Cradle's in amazing shape

00 Buick Regal GS
88 fiero L67 swap in progress
ignorant prodigy
Registered

Postby fierogt455 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:24 am

Do you have any updates?
fierogt455

Postby ignorant prodigy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:57 am

Lol the odds of me checking this site the day after you ask are so slim, yet here I am

My wife bought me a brand new spec clutch for Christmas. I need new engine mounts, a flywheel and some bolts to put it back together. I should probably clean the cradle too. Running low on time these days but I've slowly compiled a lot of the parts. I have zero experience working on manual transmissions, clutches and pressure plates etc.. So I've been a little apprehensive in that respect.
00 Buick Regal GS
ignorant prodigy
Registered

Postby ignorant prodigy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Anyone here?

I’ve been getting some work done.. mostly buying parts I need and reading up on what others have done.
I just bought a whole host of crap. Kim and I could be looking to move this summer so I need to get the fiero in a place good enough to roll.
Right now its sitting on jack stands in my garage.. so I’ve at least gotta get the cradle back in with some wheels.

I managed to get every disconnected from the cradle. It was way more of a job than I thought it’d be.

The struts were a complete pain in the ass.
The ultimate solution was:
PB blaster the hell out of the bolts
Heat the fucker up till it was orange
crank it with my impact wrench – repeat several times.
Once it finally started to spin in place.. I thought I was on the home stretch… but I wasn’t.
I started hitting it with a mallet because I didn’t want to mushroom the end of the bolt. But it didn’t generate nearly enough force to knock it out.
So I heated the fucker up again.. and whacked it with my sledgehammer.. rinse and repeat several times and finally it budged and eventually popped out.

Repeat all of those steps for the other side. My arms were sore from swinging the sledgehammer.

Then I was left with the front cradle bolt I cut out. But the fieroforums recommended I use a balljoint clamp. I heated up the sleeve, and used my impact wrench on the end of the ball joint clamp.. and sure enough it started moving. Much easier than I expected.

So that’s where I stand.. I finally have a bare cradle that needs a good cleaning and grinding. I’ll paint it and start putting shit together.

The most progress I’ve made is educating myself.
I figured out how I want to handle the coolant plumbing
I figured out how to measure the HTOB bearing so I know if the spacer is the right size for the clutch/PP
And I think I have a design that will work for a dogbone with keeping the alternator in its’ place.
00 Buick Regal GS
ignorant prodigy
Registered

Postby BC2002SS » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:58 pm

good to see some life on here
2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,
160 drilled stat,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50
BC2002SS
Registered

Postby ignorant prodigy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:41 pm

Holy crap someone else showed up!
I’ve run out of money lol.

So I’m making some economical choices.
I’ve made my own power steering delete out of a spare coilpack bracket. I wasn’t crazy about how some others routed their belts without the powersteering. The crank didn’t look like it had much contact area with the belt.
I flipped it around and actually found a belt that fit on the shelf

I found a cheap pressurized expansion tank for my IC setup at the junkyard.
I bought a Bonneville tensioner bracket from the junkyard to get the heatercore nipples that point to the side. I think I’ll try and make a cheapy homemade dogbone to throw on top of the alternator.
I was going to buy a forzenboost radiator but I actually have 2 radiators for IC’s sitting in my garage.. they’re not pretty to look at but they shouldn’t leak and better yet, they don’t cost me more money.
I was going to buy a new alternator, but I’m going to roll the dice with the one I have.

I looked everywhere for a used P-Log but couldn’t find one.. so I did buy one of those.. I’ll just use that and the stock crossover and rear manifold.

I’m almost ready to mount the engine and transmission to the cradle.
I need to install the new ebrake cables, clean up the transmission and I want to flush as much of the dexcool out of the engine out as I can.
00 Buick Regal GS
ignorant prodigy
Registered

Postby Andrew » Sun May 22, 2016 8:29 pm

Sweet! Someone is on here. I hit the shortcut on my browser by accident.

Progress looks good!

Where you guys moving to? I haven't forgotten about your HP Tuners... (Moving sucks!)
12.100 @ 109.31
Stage 3 heads & Cam, TOG Headers, S2 Inter-cooled, GenV Blower, N* Throttle Body, 60lb Injectors
Andrew
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Fiero