I’ve been getting some work done.. mostly buying parts I need and reading up on what others have done.
I just bought a whole host of crap. Kim and I could be looking to move this summer so I need to get the fiero in a place good enough to roll.
Right now its sitting on jack stands in my garage.. so I’ve at least gotta get the cradle back in with some wheels.
I managed to get every disconnected from the cradle. It was way more of a job than I thought it’d be.
The struts were a complete pain in the ass.
The ultimate solution was:
PB blaster the hell out of the bolts
Heat the fucker up till it was orange
crank it with my impact wrench – repeat several times.
Once it finally started to spin in place.. I thought I was on the home stretch… but I wasn’t.
I started hitting it with a mallet because I didn’t want to mushroom the end of the bolt. But it didn’t generate nearly enough force to knock it out.
So I heated the fucker up again.. and whacked it with my sledgehammer.. rinse and repeat several times and finally it budged and eventually popped out.
Repeat all of those steps for the other side. My arms were sore from swinging the sledgehammer.
Then I was left with the front cradle bolt I cut out. But the fieroforums recommended I use a balljoint clamp. I heated up the sleeve, and used my impact wrench on the end of the ball joint clamp.. and sure enough it started moving. Much easier than I expected.
So that’s where I stand.. I finally have a bare cradle that needs a good cleaning and grinding. I’ll paint it and start putting shit together.
The most progress I’ve made is educating myself.
I figured out how I want to handle the coolant plumbing
I figured out how to measure the HTOB bearing so I know if the spacer is the right size for the clutch/PP
And I think I have a design that will work for a dogbone with keeping the alternator in its’ place.