Car dies when in neutral

Car dies when in neutral

Postby jlindahl2571 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 am

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a while but I figured I'd ask the intelligent folks here to help troubleshoot with me. Also, this is on my 2000 Firebird v6 5 speed..I didn't post it in the Firebird Section because no one even looks there.

Ok so a couple months ago I had an issue with the car stalling when in neutral. I was getting off the highway and put it in neutral to coast and the car shut off and the wheel locked up. I had to start the car while still rolling to get it going again. Then, every time I was at a stop light or turn and put it in neutral it would die. So I brought it to firestone and they refreshed/cleaned the APP sensors/the computer, and the problem went away.

Then about a couple weeks ago this started happening again. Now it would only happen every once in a while, maybe once a week. Sometimes the car will also try to die in neutral but the rpms will bounce back up. Again no issues when in gear and when I engine brake, only neutral. And the rpms only seem to bounce when I come out of gear and I'm rolling in neutral, not when I'm just sitting at a light.

I brought the car to my local garage the other day and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it and said that it could be the Crankshaft position sensor, but that was only a guess. Some guys on another forum suggested IAC valve.

Any ideas?

Re: Car dies when in neutral

Postby deekster_caddy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Just to be clear, what does this mean exactly?

they refreshed/cleaned the APP sensors/the computer

I would lean towards a CPS - it can go bad and not set a code. Sometimes it's a broken wire though, so some more diagnostic work should be done before you just replace the sensor.

Not that it matters, but I never ever browse this site by 'section'. I use the 'view new posts' search every time so I never even see what section something is posted in.
'98 Buick Riviera; Gen V 3.2 pulley, N*, VS Cam, 180 stat, Custom PCM (Powrtuner), headers & HF cat , 42.5 lb inj.
Grant-built/PRJ/Thrasher trans 3.29 gears, 7/8 chain, zzp hardened IS
13.8@101 ET

Return to Firebird / Trans Am